Saturday, January 21, 2012

Self-Portrait Tempera Batik

One of the hardest things we have done this year was easily the self-portrait tempera batik. It was so difficult because it was of myself. It was difficult drawing myself because I i never thought that it looked like me but in the end, I see some features that are very much alike.  We first started with a practice that was a smaller piece.  That was a little bit easier because there wasn't so much to work with. When we got to the actual portrait which was huge, it was intimidating. There was just so much to paint and so many choices of where to start, where to make darker, what colors to use...etc. We were allowed to use any color we wanted to I chose a blue/teal color for mine. It made it more fun and not so original. It made it so that everyone didn't have the exact same skin colors.  When we were done painting we inked then rinsed it which created a cool, worn down look. After that we used colored pencils to shade in some of the missing areas (from rinsing).  I personally thought that the colored pencils were the hardest thing to do because there wasn't a colored pencil that was exactly the color paint I used so I was forced to blend a few colors together.  It was a fun experience overall.

Large drawing, not yet painted.       

Smaller drawing, beginning to paint

No comments:

Post a Comment